Sony has taken the best parts of the Alpha, FS, and VENICE cameras and created the ultimate trifecta in the FX9. With a 6K full frame sensor, 15+ stops of dynamic range, and super fast (and highly sensitive) autofocus, you’re sure to love this new hybrid. Take still shots in 6K and record video in 4K, all while benefiting from a reduction in the noise floor, more defined edges, clearer details, and way more color accuracy. Plus, it’s S-Cinetone feature helps those who need to get their edits out quickly with minimal color grading.
Why We Love It
- The Sensor. The Sony FX9 has a back-illuminated full frame 6K Exmoor R Image sensor that oversamples 6008 x 3168 resolution to create 4K images capable of full HDR. With 15 stops of dynamic range and a dual base ISO at 800 and 4000 this sensor is incredibly powerful and gives a shooter a lot to work with.
- New Color Science. Along with the S-log’s on the FS7 model, the FX9 added a new color science called S-Cinetone that has a more accurate color gamut and skin tones for a better cinematic look. The camera is also Netflix approved.
- Fast Hybrid AF & Face Detection. They integrated the autofocus system from the popular Alpha series cameras. The Fast Hybrid AF has 561 focus points covering 94% in the horizontal and 96% vertical in the full frame mode.
- Recording Modes. The FX9 is capable of shooting 4K full-frame (3840 x 2160) at 24p/25p/30p or S35 (3840 x 2160) at 24p/25p/30p/60p. A future firmware update will add 4K (4096 x 2160) and 60fps in full-frame mode and in S35 will see 24p/25p/30p/60p at 4096 x 2160.
High frame rates of 100/120fps are supported in 1080p full-frame and S35. In a future update, 150/180fps will be added in 1080p and S35 will see 3840 x 2160 get 100/120fps
- Variable Electronic N.D. Filter. The FX9 has a variable electronic neutral density filter that can be controlled from a hard dial on the side of the camera. You’ll also notice several other hard dials there, covering functions for customizable ND filter presets, dual-channel audio adjustment, Iris control, white balance, and shutter.
Sony FX9 Cinema Camera Package includes:
- Sony handgrip and extension arm
- Canon EF lens adaptor from Metabones
- 2 – BP-U60 Batteries and 1-charger
- 2 – Sony XQD 128GB recording media
- Remote Control
- USB LAN Utility
- Berkey Top Mount cheese plate
- Travel Case on Wheels
Kit Rental Price: $375/day or $1,125/week